Sunday, June 21, 2009

Lost and Found


Victoria, Tarlac,
Philippines

22 June 2009

A little story about how we found our lost cell phone - directed or lead to it?

We were in Cabanatuan most of the day on Friday. On our way home, we stopped in Victoria to visit with Sister Melegrito about some government training for our members. We visited a bit with her then headed home – upon arriving, we noticed that we did not have our cell phone so we got dressed and drove back to Victoria. I had an impression as to where it was. When we arrived, I looked through a pile of bush trimmings near the driveway. This is where MB got out of the car on our first visit. The cell phone was not there – it had all our contact numbers and everything we need to operate.

There was a crowd gathering all the time I was looking through the trimmings and they helped without success. We talked to a few of them, when I asked questions of them there was no positive results. A few young men drifted in and asked what we were looking for and we told them and they asked if my phone looked like this – showing me a phone and when I looked at the back it was our phone (the number is taped to the back). They had found it and had a treasure taking parts of it to use elsewhere. When I turned it on it was missing a key component – SIM card (all our numbers, etc.). When I asked about the SIM card another young man said he had it and fished it out of a pack of cigarettes. We had our complete phone and we were happy. If we would have lost the cell phone it would have cost us a lot of time and effort to get back to where we are now.

(MB) I wanted to add a story from church at the Anao branch today. I went to Primary with Sister Nadado who is the Stake (District) 1st Counselor in the Primary. She told a cute story in Tagalog, then she asked me to tell one - so I told the Parable of the Sheep and Goats because there are about a zillion goats in the Philippines. She interpreted and we made it kind of cute. Then the Primary President was teaching a lesson, I didn't notice at the time but one of the boys had slipped out to the little neighborhood store and came back drinking a pop out of a plastic bag with a straw!* Sister Nadado scolded him a little but then everything just went on as normal with him drinking his pop! (I asked him if he could get me a Coke) no, not really! But anyway, as you can see, life and church is always an adventure for us! But we love it and we truly love the Filipino members. They are great people!

As you travel on the roads you have to be alert of the road conditions and the hazards.

Elder NB & Sister MB

*pop bottles are valuable and stay at the store – they pour the pop in a plastic bag to go and give you a straw.

5 comments:

eternity4us said...

I feel it was divine intervention that made it possible to find your phone and get all the parts..neat story

Hopkin Family said...

Is that a clean straw or already been used straw? ;) Couldn't resist, mb!!!

Holly said...

wow! mom and dad your experiences are so amazing and it's so neat that we're able to share in (a little bit of) your missionary journal.

love you lots!

Melissa said...

I am impressed that these young men decided to come forward and return the lost phone and associated parts. It puts a smile on my face that everything was made OK by inspiration and honesty! Love you two! Melissa

Snows said...

What a miracle that you found your cell phone and that those young men were honest! They must all have felt something special being around you. We have sheep mostly here, but it looks and sounds like goats are there in the Philippines.